Monday, July 14, 2014

THE Video Inspiring Women to Challenge Beauty Ideals

If you have not heard by now, let us be the first to tell you:  The new music video "Try" by Colbie Caillat has went viral and as of the writing of this post, has received over 6.6 million views on YouTube!


Why are people flocking to see this video?  Because they are inspired by the reason Caillat created the video: she was tired of being airbrushed and wanted to empower women to feel free to "take off the makeup, let down their hair, take a breath, take a look in the mirror at yourself...don't you like you??? Cause I like you!" (song lyrics).

She said the hardest part about being a woman in today's society was feeling pressured to live up to others' expectations.
The song is from Caillat's new album, "Gypsy Heart." In an interview that appeared on Elle magazine's website on July 10, Caillat said she went into the recording studio with producer Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds and explained to him she was tired of being pressured by others to look like someone she was not. He encouraged her to put those feelings to music.
"I don't have Photoshop on my album cover," she said in the interview. "At the video shoots, I'm doing less hair and makeup. For the 'Try' video I didn't prep or starve myself and over-exercise. And then I didn't get my nails done, I didn't get my hair done. I didn't get a facial. I didn't have a stylist."
"When you have a cute outfit on and your makeup looks amazing, the first thing people comment on is your image. When you don't wear makeup, you hear things like, 'Oh wow, you look tired or you're so brave for not wearing makeup!'" she said.
The video appears to have struck a chord with viewers. One viewer on YouTube wrote: "Flawlessly beautiful. Inspiring in every way! And, no she is not saying 'You can't wear make-up!' She's saying simply be you. That if you do wear make-up, wear it because you want to not because you feel like you have to. That being said, all you ladies and gentlemen that do wear make-up... Just know that you are just as gorgeous without it :)"
This video is exactly what I strive for no matter what we post for Curva-Lish!  In our world of continued (un-achievable) standards for beauty, being a mom, being a friend, being a volunteer, being superwoman in the workplace while also being the "perfect" wife and juggling all of your responsibilities perfectly...none of that matters if you lose your authentic self in the process.  I couldn't find anywhere else on the web where I could seek out inspiration to be authentically me as I age and evolve!

Don't get me wrong...I looove makeup, being stylish, being the best sister I can be, being the best friend I can be, etc, etc....but keep it all in perspective. Whatever you do, whether that's to be healthy, have glowing hair, buy the most fashionable in-season items you can afford, etc...just be YOU!

Que
Curva-Lish
curvalish@gmail.com