Thursday, May 21, 2015

Fear and Playing Like An Underdog

I love this time of year because you get to hear the best life wisdom from some of the best people making the best contributions to humanity during graduation commencement addresses.

Recently, some great wisdom came from an unlikely source: Matthew McConaughey!

In McConaughey's commencement address to the University of Houston, he shared some great wisdom...most notably was his comment regarding FEAR!

Summary: "You know these No Fear t-shirts? I don't get 'em. Hell, I try to scare myself at least once a day. I get butterflies every morning before I go to work. I think fear is a good thing.

Why?

Because it increases our NEED to overcome that fear.

Say your obstacle is fear and rejection. You want to ask her out but you fear she may say " no". You want to ask for that promotion but you're scared your boss will think you're overstepping your bounds.

Well instead of denying these fears, declare them, say them out loud, admit them, give them the credit they deserve. Don't get all macho and act like they're no big deal, and don't get paralyzed by denying they exist and therefore abandoning your need to overcome them.

I mean, I'd subscribe to the belief that we're all destined to have to do the thing we fear the most anyway."

Brilliant!

Face your fears. It's normal and as McConaughey states...it's connected to your destiny to overcome them!

One last quote from McConaughey's commencement address was: "Be brave, take the hill but first, answer the question, "What is my hill?"

Read more of this on Time at http://time.com/3881954/matthew-mcconaughey-graduation-speech-university-of-houston/

No comments:

Post a Comment