Sunday, February 1, 2015

Going for the Looong Shot!


This past week I applied for the Conde Nast Style Society because I am adding a style page to this blog and wanted to join a group that are the pioneers in style.  Conde Nast is the publisher behind some of the greatest fashion and style brands such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Style.com, etc. Their Style Society is "“social hub for forward-thinking, style-focused women." They only accept 2,000 to be apart of the style society at any given time.

So upon me applying, negative thoughts entered my head saying things like "You are no trend setter", "You would be out of your league", "Conde Nast would never approve you being apart of such a selective community", etc, etc.  Literally as I was answering each question, a different worry kept coming up!

Have you ever had that happen?  You wanted to join, be apart of or get accepted to something that will help you meet a goal but you know going in it's a looong shot?  This seems to be the story of my life!

I am not sure when it happened but since I come from such a poor background, I knew that I'd never be able to be all that I wanted to become if I didn't at least try!  One of my favorite quotes is by Michael Jordan:  

"I can accept failure but I can not accept not trying."

To make a long story short, I was accepted and am the newest member of the Conde Nast Style Society...yippee!

My WHY
For the same reasons why I started this blog in the first place to evangelize authenticity, I applied for the style society... I am seeing a gap. In this case, I am seeing a gap in the world of fashion and style as it applies to the evolution of style for a woman over 40. 

I am a 40-year old woman who has been reading Vogue since I was 14 years old but as my life has evolved so has my style.  I am no longer interested in wearing some pre-determined look out of a catalogue.  I want my style to be reflective of who I am, where I am and what makes me look my best!  And statistics say there are more women like me than are women who want their look to be dictated!

So, our new style page (debuting this week!) will be focused on what I will explore in how style (not fashion per se) plays a role in the life of an evolving, mature woman as we all continually seek out how our authenticity unfolds in our everyday style...from clothing to accessories to home decor to our hobbies!

Another Example of the Looong Shot
Image Credit: Kerrie Hess
Also in this past week, I finally heard from a potential client that I have been professionally "stalking" for months!  A contract with them for my strategic advisory firm would take me life and business' work to a whole different level!  There were many times when I thought about just stopping the emails or voicemail messages but Grant Cardone's craziness in "The 10X Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure" kept popping up...don't give up!

I have a meeting scheduled with this potential client in about a week and I am prepping for it now!  Getting inside this organization is like winning the gold ticket to the Chocolate Factory.  It was a looong shot that took several months but finally, I am on my way!

So my question to you:  what have you not pursued because someone (or you told yourself!) that it can't be done? Whatever it is, circle back to it!  Don't let self or imposed limitations restrict you from going for the looong shot!  Life is too short!

Leave a comment below of your looong shot.  Also, Make 2015 Your Year and get some coaching that will help you drive towards results!

It's February 1st and it's just the 2nd month of the new year so stay focused and go for that looong shot!

Que
@QSwerve
Email Me


1 comment:

  1. Great insight a much need add in this everchanging market place.

    ReplyDelete