Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Power of Exponential Living (Recap)

Tonight I attended a great call hosted by Steve Harvey called "The Power of Exponential Living".  The call was led by speakers Sheri Riley and facilitated by Doreen Rainey.

The call was focused on discussing how powerful it is to know your purpose, your gift and what you want to do.  However, if you aren't living that out, it can be frustrating and lead to a lack of fulfillment.

That's where Exponential Living comes in...it's the process of moving from knowing what you want to do - to doing what you want to do.

That was the topic of the night and here's a recap just for you:

 Exponential Defined: (of an increase) becoming more and more rapid

My background is as the Director of Marketing for LaFace Records (for R&B legend Babyface). I was traveling, living a big life with celebrities and an unlimited expense account...but I was miserable.

I knew how to pursue success but I didn't know how to live with it.

Dreams don't become realized without a process...the process is intended to teach you to LIVE YOUR POWER.

Most people have dreams but don't have visions.  What's the difference?
  • Dreams are those big picture things 
  • Vision is when you nail it down; what are the steps; the reality of the pursuit
You have to make the focus: "I want to serve in the highest capacity of my talents and giftings"
 
I am not talking about a to-do list....focus is what can I take off of my list. Ask yourself, "What are my 2, 3 or 4 best power steps?" and make that your list of focus.
Focus on consistency to get you through the 'No's' as you pursue your vision.

Living the Vision
What was difficult for people to understand when I resigned from LaFace Records is that I recognized my career success was leading me further towards my Plan B and taking me further from my Plan A.  My Plan A was to get married and have a family.  My Plan B was to excel in my career. Plan A comes before Plan B.

Our mistake is that we never re-visit what are our priorities.  At one time in my life, Plan B was my priority but I never went back to assess whether that was still my truth.  If I had stayed at the record label, I would continue to feel stuck because my Plan A was not getting done.

Never let your Plan B take the place of Plan A.  Sometimes you have to "give up" to "go up".

Takes Courage
It takes courage to live your vision.  It takes courage to leave old friends. It take courage to seek other opportunities.  It takes courage to change gears.

How do you get through this hard part?  Recognize the difference between confidence vs drive.  
  • Confidence allows your vulnerability to create (real) strength to step up.  Confidence says: "No matter what happens, as I pursue my vision, I'll BE OKAY!  I know this is the BEST for me."
  • Drive is protective strength that is not rooted in your vulnerability.  
To succeed at your goals, you can't have one foot rooted in Plan A and one foot rooted in Plan B.  You have to decide. 
What is Exponential Living?
  1. Pursuit of Peace
  2. Choosing Clarity
  3. Living Courageously
Pursuing titles, seeking validation, etc. is not going to get you to exponential living...you have to face the truth about yourself.
 
Homework to get you to Exponential Living
Ask yourself this question:  What are the five things you value most?
  • Now write down how much time you spend per week on each one of those five things? 
We have to constantly check on ourselves of whether we are aligning our priorities with where we spend time.
When you are clear about your five top priorities, it will better help you make courageous choices about your life.  You will be clear. You can't serve others from fumes. You can only effectively serve others from your fuel (overflow). Be clear on your priorities to serve from you fuel.
What do you see yourself doing and being this time next year?
  • What do you need to focus on?
    • Where do you need to stop going?
    • What do you need to stop doing (stop trying to do everything)?
    • Sheri Riley
    •  What is causing you to keep going in circles?
Kill your distractions: it's not about adding to your list, it's about subtracting from your list.

What do you need to implement?

How are you going to ensure you stay consistent?

VISION.FOCUS.PLAN

No matter how big your vision is, you have to stair step your way to your success. 

Final Thought:  Stop spending 100% of your time on 10% of who you are.

You can catch Steve Harvey, Doreen Rainey, and Sheri Riley at Steve Harvey's "Act Like A Success Conference" March 6th-8th, 2015 in Washington, D.C. or catch it live streamed.

Que
@QSwerve
Curva-Lish 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent recap of a very powerful conversation. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete