Monday, April 27, 2015

What Really Matters: The 1 Million or the One?


A few weeks ago I was chatting with a fellow blogger and she needed help figuring out how to grow her audience from a couple of thousand per month to tens of thousands per month.

Around this same time I was focused on being excited that I'm starting to see a few notable people follow me on either Twitter or Instagram. 

Just as I was about to get "puffed chested" about the new notable follows, my Instagram notified me I had a new follower.  The notification showed that the new follower said she's inspired by my posts and on her profile she was celebrating the fact she finally made it through to being sober for 14 days (after multiple times of failing).

Seeing this new follower's bravery and struggle brought it all back down to earth for me: 

What really matters? The quantity of followers or the lives you impact...even if it's just one.

I'd be the first to say that the internet and social media has created instant celebrities, more easy ways to share globally and a connectivity amongst people that never existed before...but don't let this phenomenon jade your perception of what really matters. 

We all have an ability to impact the lives of people at our jobs, on the subway, in our community and even within our families.  That's the real goal of an authentic life...the importance of even the One.

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder. I don't have thousands of followers. I barely have a hundred subscribers but I have to believe that God can use my blog first to change me and then, hopefully, to speak truth to someone else. One is enough!

    ReplyDelete