Thursday, June 9, 2016

No Regrets: Reviving What Once Made You Happy




#NoRegrets: Do you have anything you look back on and regret you didn't continue it? A hobby that gave you peace? A dream you let people talk you out of? A relationship only you believed in? A career that paid less but gave you more joy? An adventure that made no practical or logical sense that you aborted?

While I don't believe in living a life of regret wallowing in "what could have been", I do think it's healthy to remember (and sometimes go back to) things that you once loved.

This image is one of my regrets that I'm going back to...a year after starting my company I made these #inspiring videos. People liked them so much I opened myself up to make them for others. That's when things went wrong...


Continuation from my Instagram post:
You see, I genuinely enjoyed the creative process of figuring out how to inspire people through a two minute video. Inspiring people is like breathing for me. It's completely effortless and fun!

What went wrong is that I saw how video was going to be huge in telling the story of people and brands so I took what was effortless and fun for me and tried to make it commercial by making money from others.

And guess what? Making creative, inspiring videos for people and small brands who are paying you doesn't work the same as doing it for the love and passion in building your own brand.

I won't go into details but let's just say my money making commercial idea to create videos for other people and brands was a flop.

But the bigger flop was that I let the critique and criticisms of commercial clients talk me out of a passion project that gave me great joy! I completely stopped making videos (even my inspiring ones for my own brand) after my commercial flop.



Here's the wisdom from this series of events...

I accidentally bumped into one of my old videos (I loaded them on YouTube) and I cried. I cried mostly because I was having an awful day and that video inspired me so much that I was moved to tears...and I was the one that created it!!!

The images in the post are stills from the video. And here's the video titled "Destined to Be Great"



If you are reading this post, I pray it crossed your path for a reason.

Sometimes our timing maybe off, our attention gets diverted or we just lose steam. No matter what happened, I challenge you to revive something that once gave you an immense sense of self, pleasure, service, contentment and/or peace.


Revive it.

Go back to it.

And I pray it makes you live a life of no regrets!

P.S. I have a fairly new friend revive an old blog idea she had and y'all, her writing and point of view is completely brilliant! She has survived breast cancer and a list of other life challenges but I was one of her cheerleaders telling her to revive it...you can check out her blog Salt, Sandy and Happy.

P.S.S. There are plenty of people who have commercialized a passion project...this blog is an example! Just know and distinguish what's not your calling and gifting. Video making is not where I needed to expend my efforts in building it into a company. I'm clear on that, lol!
..

No comments:

Post a Comment