Monday, July 30, 2018

Meditating Love and Happiness


I've recently joined a meditation and wellness group that meets up during lunch time on the 30th floor of a skyscraper downtown.

It's so high up that you hear none of the hustle and bustle going on during the lunch hour of the downtown business district.

I'm a novice at meditation and I'm in no hurry to learn quickly. Meditation naturally brings you to a level of awareness that causes you to be much more gentler with yourself than normal.

What I loved about this particular session is we participated in a Love and Kindness guided meditation.

It was especially welcome given the current level of divisiveness and misunderstandings going on in our world right now.

The Love and Kindness guided meditation was after we spent several minutes getting centered and shutting out what I am sure is the craziness of the business day for each of us.

This pre-centering was important because I learned it helps you be in a calm state to be the most receptive to the love and kindness visualisations.

The Love and Kindness guided meditation started out with us selecting a person that we had absolute trust and little/no complexities within our relationship...I thought of my sister.

So we were first asked to visualize these things for our chosen person :

I hope you feel safe.

I hope you feel a profound sense of peace and trust.

I hope you live free.

Then we transitioned to us with the person and made same affirmations as "we".

We lastly visualized then that it was just us and repeated the Love and Kindness affirmations.

What's interesting is that after we were done the instructor asked us how we felt or "what came up for us" during the Love and Kindness guided meditation.

My response was that I realized that if he had started it with just me, I wouldn't have "received" the affirmations as openly. But wholeheartedly hoping it for my sister allowed her to be a gateway for me to then receive the prayer affirmations with no hesitation.

Y'all, I was told by a therapist that I had a hard time with worthiness and it showed up again in this meditation session!

And one of the major takeaways for me from this session was when the instructor says that one of the main reasons to meditate and pause is so that you switch from DOING time to BEING time so that BEING in time will inform how you DO time.

In other words, getting centered will help you be more mindful and intentional with what you do with your time and life priorities, as opposed to anxiously living life like it's a blur of activity that you're not in control of...I think that's really powerful!

I'm starting on this journey of meditation and am looking forward to it being a tool towards more self care and more self awareness in my life.

I'll keep you updated as I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment